Wednesday, February 19, 2014

18th Century Child's Gown

Working on the child's gown has been a lot of fun, and at the same time has allowed me to use a great deal of the research work that was done on our last trip to the UK.  Hazel and I saw several children's gowns, three in the Museum of Childhood, one in Merseyside and one at the Museum of London.

There is another gown in the collection of Nottingham that is in Dr. Clare Rose's book on children's clothing.
Children's Clothes Since 1750
It is very similar to the gown pattern that I am creating.  I had some detail questions about the gown that were not listed in her book.  She was kind enough to respond to my inquiry, and this gown is now on my have to visit in the future list.  There are remarkable similarities in all the gowns that I have seen so far.  Just as in adult gowns, there appears to be conventions (not rules) in the construction. 



The child is laced into the gown from the back.  The lacing holes hidden by a placket that covers the holes, and yet allows access for lacing. 

The point of the gown is not attached to the gown skirts, which are finished and then attached.


The point floats free over the gown skirts.  The sleeves and shoulder straps set in the normal 18th century manner, which for a modern sewer is a little abnormal! 

This particular version does not have leading strings but I am providing an option for those who wish to use them in the pattern. 

If anyone has leads to children's gowns in other museum collections, I would appreciate the information.  I have seen the gowns at the Metropolitan in New York and hope to get to the Smithsonian soon to see the Copp Family child's gown. 



1 comment:

  1. It's as seen on the pictures!! It’s a lovely, beautiful and amazing dress! And most of all really fast delivery. I love it and strongly recommend the designer!
    Brandy Melville Tops

    ReplyDelete